Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Where Has Summer Gone?

Fall mums starting to bloom.

Hydrangea beginning to bloom.

Where has the summer gone?  The Fall flowers are beginning to bloom, and I can't believe school is starting soon.   My middle grandchild Sam reminded me that he hadn't spent the night for a long time or gotten his birthday present from us.  We wanted to remedy that situation, so Monday afternoon we went to Berlin and picked up Sam.  As a typical nine year old boy, he packed a brown grocery bag, grabbed his pillow and was out the door.  We didn't realize until bedtime that he hadn't packed clean underwear or a toothbrush, but he had three stuffed animals and a bunch of legos.  Priorities are important at that age.  He is a really good eater so it doesn't matter what I make him to eat.  He says I am the best cook of anyone and whatever it is he says "this is the best (blank) ever".  I actually made the Baked Chimichangas that my husband had shared on facebook several times.  I think he shared the recipe again as a reminder to me that he would like to try them.  Of course, I modify every recipe but they were pretty good.  I think you could put diced tomatoes, ripe olives, onion or anything else in the mixture and it would be wonderful.  They are baked and not fried as most chimichangas are, so they aren't as high in calories.



Baked Chicken Chimichangas

8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
8 oz. pepperjack cheese, shredded (I used Mexican blend cheese)
1 1/2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
1 lb. cooked chicken, shredded (I used browned ground beef)
8 flour tortillas (Don't use the extra large ones or you will have too much tortilla to fold and they will be dry).  I tried all sizes and I liked the small to medium size best.
cooking spray
shredded cheddar cheese
green onions, for garnish
sour cream
salsa

Stir together cream cheese, pepperjack cheese and taco seasoning.
Fold in chicken.
Divide among flour tortillas.
Tuck in sides, and roll up each tortilla.
Lay seam side down in a sprayed 9x13" baking dish.
Spray tops of the tortillas with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
Turn the chimichangas over, and bake an additional 15 minutes.
Serve with cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream, and salsa.


After supper, Sam enjoyed relaxing away from his brother and sister.  He talked to great grandpa and played Minecraft with Papa.  I allowed him to stay up a little too late, but eventually we all went to sleep.  In the morning after breakfast, we arranged for Dylan (second grandchild)  to go with us to Oshkosh. Sam got to choose where to have lunch and where to get a birthday gift.  He chose Buffalo Wild Wings as his favorite place to eat.  Both the boys had eight boneless wings and a drink.



After having two daughters,  I'm not used to being out with young boys.  They talk in a language I don't understand and get amused at the strangest things.  When we finally finished our meals, large drinks and a bathroom break, we were off to the next stop.  I had not heard of this place...

House of Heroes


Super heros are not something I know anything about.  Who knew there was a store full of comic books and stuff related to this.  I did recognize Sheldon and Raj from the Big Bang Theory which is one of my favorite shows.


We found a place to sit down and waited and waited and waited.  Some things were a little frightening, but we didn't interfere.


There was such a big decision to make.  Sam had to decide what he wanted to buy for under $40 and Dylan had to decide if he wanted anything from this store.  Dylan will be twelve on Sunday the 25th, so I might as well get his gift today as well.





More than an hour later and another trip to the bathroom for them, a decision was made.  Sam ended up with two hardcover books and Dylan a small Ironman paperback.  Dylan wanted to go to Target next because there was something there that he would rather have.  We all went in and after hemming and hawing, we finally got a Xbox point card and a Skylander Giant.  Thank goodness I didn't try to buy these gifts on my own because I would have missed the mark entirely.  At this age, no more surprise gifts, we want them to get what they want.

We returned the boys home and went home ourselves.  It was a very nice day for all of us.  Then to top it off, there was a beautiful full moon.  I hope the boys remember this day, because we sure will.





No comments:

Post a Comment